Political Rewind: Loudermilk under scrutiny; Abrams blasts Kemp for receiving Daniel Defense funds
Chuck Williams — Investigative reporter, WRBL
Kevin Riley — Editor, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Donna Lowry — Capitol correspondent, GPB
Dr. Chris Grant — Professor of political science, Mercer University
1. The January 6th Committee wants to question Rep. Barry Loudermilk about a Jan. 5 tour he conducted.
- Loudermilk was shown touring a group including an unnamed man who took photos of Capitol complex infrastructure.
2. Gov. Brian Kemp has endorsed Mike Collins in the contentious 10th District runoff.
- The 10th District race has seen plenty of inflammatory advertising.
- Although his campaign was endorsed by Trump in 2018, Dr. Grant referred to this endorsement as a continuation of Kemp's status as a "runaway Republican"
- Donna Lowry notes that Vernon Jones has said negative things about Kemp, and Jones has fewer and fewer friends at the Capitol.
3. Stacey Abrams flags Daniel Defense's donations to Kemp's campaign.
- Abrams has also criticized Kemp's permitless carry bill that passed in the last legislative session.
- This comes as Kemp vows to "harden" schools to prevent mass shootings via defensive measures.
- Abrams has floated a "red flag" law should she be elected governor.
- Both candidates are courting teachers in campaign messaging.
4. Fox News featured only one candidate in Georgia's 2nd Congressional District GOP race.
- Chris West and Jeremy Hunt are currently in a runoff in the 2nd District.
- Hunt has been a Fox contributor since 2016, speaking on foreign policy and military news.
- West and Wayne Johnson, a candidate already knocked out, allege that Fox favored Hunt to win him the nomination.
Friday on Political Rewind:
A special Juneteenth panel with Clark Atlanta's Dr. Kurt Young, Capital B's Gavin Godfrey, and the Southern Center for Human Rights' Tiffany Williams Roberts.