Credit: ABC News/Good Morning America
Political Rewind: 2nd Walker accuser on GMA; New AJC poll; Affirmative action case in Supreme Court
Alan Abramowitz, @AlanIAbramowitz, professor emeritus of political science, Emory University
Claire Sanders, @SandersPolitics, senior lecturer of political science, Georgia College
Tamar Hallerman, @TamarHallerman, senior reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Tammy Greer, professor of political science, Clark Atlanta University
1. Second woman who claims Herschel Walker paid for abortion speaks out on Good Morning America.
- The woman remains anonymous but claims she had a six-year affair with Walker in the 1990s.
- She says the Republican candidate for Senate pressured her into getting an abortion by claiming, "she would not be safe and the child would not be safe."
- The Walker campaign continues to deny these claims.
2. New and final poll from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the Senate race is in a dead heat.
- Race shows Herschel Walker (R) and Incumbent Sen. Raphael Warnock (D) are polling at 46% and 45%, respectively.
- Libertarian Chase Oliver has gleaned 5% of the vote.
- The poll puts Gov. Brian Kemp (R) at over the 50% needed to avoid a runoff against Stacey Abrams (D).
- Abrams is polling stronger with Black voters, gaining 87% of that electorate.
- In the races for lieutenant governor, attorney general and secretary of state, Republican candidates lead.
- Younger voters are the largest registered group in Georgia, but they aren't showing up to the polls.
3. Affirmative action case argued in Supreme Court.
- The justices are revisiting decades of precedent upheld over the years by narrow court majorities that included Republican-appointed justices.
- While Justice Clarence Thomas heard arguments he said, "I've heard the word diversity quite a few times, and I don't have a clue what it means."
- Thomas is a Black native son of Pin Point, Ga.
- If affirmative action is reversed, it could disrupt college admissions.
Wednesday on Political Rewind: The AJC's Greg Bluestein joins the panel.