Credit: Brian Kemp - @GovKemp
Political Rewind: Dawgs dominate first day of session; Kemp's 2nd term; McCarthy wins speakership
Emma Hurt, @Emma_Hurt, reporter, Axios Atlanta
Margaret Coker, @mideastmargaret, editor-in-chief, The Current
Maya Prabhu, @MayaTPrabhu, government reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Patricia Murphy, @MurphyAJC, political reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
1. The Georgia Bulldogs are aiming to win their second national championship in a row.
- The Dawgs will face Texas Christian University's Horned Frogs tonight in Los Angeles.
- The late Vince Dooley narrated a promotional video ahead of the game.
2. The state Legislature begins its 2023 session today.
- The first day will likely be a short one as legislators head to Los Angeles to watch the Dawgs.
- The incoming freshman class is large and diverse, making up over a fifth of the Legislature.
- Rep. Jon Burns, a Newington Republican, will be sworn in as Speaker of the House after the unexpected passing of Rep. David Ralston.
- Kemp ran in 2018 with a specific image: asking a daughter's boyfriend his stance on the Second Amendment and saying he'd round up "illegals" in a truck.
- In the years since, he became a national figure after running a successful reelection campaign in opposition to former President Trump.
- After defeating Stacey Abrams by a solid margin, Kemp vowed to take on violent crime in his second term.
4. Two Georgia representatives were frontstage in the drama around electing Rep. Kevin McCarthy.
- Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Andrew Clyde were featured prominently.
- Greene worked alongside McCarthy and Clyde vocally opposed his election.
Tuesday on Political Rewind: The AJC's Tamar Hallerman joins the panel.