Credit: AP Photo/John Amis, File
Political Rewind: President Carter's 98th birthday; Ian changes course; Rivian plant updates
Jim Galloway, @JimJournalist, former political columnist, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Margaret Coker, @mideastmargaret, editor-in-chief, The Current
Matt Brown, @mrbrownsir, democracy reporter, The Washington Post
Karen Owen, @ProfKarenOwen, professor of political science, University of West Georgia
1. Hurricane Ian seems to have nearly missed Georgia. But it brought a pause to partisan politics.
- Ian moved across Florida, along Georgia's coast, and is expected to hit South Carolina later today.
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has often flown in the face of the Biden Administration, but Hurricane Ian has put partisan politics on the back burner.
2. The ad war wages on in the Abrams-Kemp contest.
- New anti-Abrams ads continue to paint her as an extremist who takes out-of-state money to reshape Georgia. A recent pro-Abrams ad focuses on her economic policy.
- Recent polls show Kemp leading Abrams in their gubernatorial race. That doesn't mean Democrats should be counted out.
3. A Georgia judge handed down a ruling that might jeopardize the Rivian plant's ability to open.
- The Rivian plant was touted by Governor Kemp as a major economic policy win. If it falls through, that could undermine his message.
- Biden's health and climate bill could impact the future Hyundai plant in Savannah. Raphael Warnock is trying to find a workaround.
4. Jimmy Carter celebrates his 98th birthday over the weekend. The Carter Center will also ring in its 40th anniversary.
- Normally focused on overseas elections, the Carter Center's recent work has focused on domestic trust in democratic processes.
In 2020, Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter's grandson Josh Carter launched a podcast called Unchanging Principles, which provides insight into his relationship with his grandparents – who still reside in the Plains home they lived in before entering politics. Josh is the oldest son of Jeff and Annette Carter.
Josh Carter spoke with GPB News ahead of Jimmy Carter's birthday to discuss his grandfather's life and legacy.
Monday on Political Rewind: The AJC's Patricia Murphy joins the panel.