Political Rewind: Mayors on the 'laboratory' of local governance; Ossoff kicks off Jackson hearings
Mayor Deana Holiday Ingraham — Mayor of East Point
Greg Bluestein — Politics reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Mayor Kelly Girtz — Mayor of Athens-Clarke County
Mayor Van Johnson — Mayor of Savannah
1. Three Georgia mayors talk about homelessness in their communities and across the state.
- A lack of affordable housing and unequal economic recovery is leading to a rise in homelessness in Georgia.
- In Athens, Ga., there is a municipal initiative to open a government-sanctioned encampment where people experiencing homeless can have easier access to social services.
2. Sen. Jon Ossoff opens up the final day of hearings with questions for Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson.
- Ossoff opened the hearing acknowledging his fellow senator from Georgia, Raphael Warnock, who was in the audience for Day 3 of hearings.
- The freshman senator also called the process "at times, cruel."
- Ossoff asked Jackson about her brother's time in the military and Baltimore's police force.
3. Trump endorses another down-ballot candidate in Georgia's Republican primaries.
- The former president endorsed John Gordon for attorney general.
- The move targets close ally of Gov. Brian Kemp, incumbent Chris Carr.
A new edition of the new Political Rewind newsletter comes out this afternoon. Sign up here to receive it in your inbox every Wednesday afternoon.