Political Rewind: Vote on planned Atlanta police training center; Week of state GOP convention
Edward Lindsey, State Election Board member and former Atlanta state representative, @edlindsey14
Sen. Kim Jackson, (D) Stone Mountain, @KimforGeorgia
Patricia Murphy, political reporter and columnist, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, @MurphyAJC
Shannon McCaffrey, political reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, @shannonajc1
1. Gov. Brian Kemp takes a direct shot at former President Donald Trump.
- Kemp criticized Trump for posting a message congratulating Kim Jung Un for being appointed to the World Health Organization executive board.
- This comes just days before Trump will be the headline speaker at the state GOP convention.
- Kemp, former Vice President Mike Pence and other high-profile Republican leaders are not attending.
- But some far-right figures including Kandiss Taylor and Kari Lake will attend.
- Extra security is planned for Monday when council members are expected to vote on whether to fund a proposed police training center.
- Proponents say a training center is needed.
- Both environmental and social activists say the city has not been transparent in the process.
- A lease-back agreement for the city could more than double the cost for the training center.
Tuesday on Political Rewind: GPB's Peter Biello joins the show.