Credit: (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Political Rewind: Debt ceiling talks; Trump coming to Georgia GOP convention
Audrey Haynes, professor of political science, University of Georgia
Charles Bullock, professor of political science, UGA
Kevin Riley, editor-at-large, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, @ajceditor
Tammy Greer, professor of political science
- The "debt ceiling" or "debt limit" is a cap on how much debt the federal government is allowed to accumulate.
- It is up to Congress to vote to increase the nation's borrowing cap, known as the debt limit.
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is in a standoff with President Biden over the limit.
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has warned that the country could run out of borrowing authority by June 1.
2. Former President Donald Trump is set to come to the Georgia Republican Party convention.
- WRBL reports that David Shafer, the outgoing chairman of the Georgia Republican Party, said the former president will stop in Columbus.
- Kemp stated he won't attend the convention and has urged the party to move beyond Donald Trump.
- The convention is set for June 9 and June 10.
Friday on Political Rewind: Dekalb County CEO Mike Thurmond joins the show along with Sam Olens.