Credit: AP Photo/John Bazemore
Political Rewind: DA Fani Willis says charges due this summer; Biden announces reelection bid
Anthony Michael Kreis, @AnthonyMKreis, professor of law, Georgia State University
Fred Smith, @fredosmithjr, professor of law, Emory University
Tamar Hallerman, @TamarHallerman, senior reporter, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- After months of hints, Biden announced he'd seek a second term in office. The announcement comes four years to the day after his 2020 announcement.
- Biden postured himself as a counter to "MAGA extremists" [...] "dictating what health care decisions women can make, banning books, and telling people who they can love. All while making it more difficult for you to be able to vote."
- Letters to law enforcement in Fulton County ask for increased security between July 11 and Sept. 1, due to a potential indictment announcement.
- A grand jury will now hear evidence amassed by the investigative special grand jury.
- Fulton County could be the second jurisdiction Trump faces charges in, after Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg indicted Trump weeks ago. Trump also faces two Department of Justice investigations, both over classified documents, and a rape trial, which starts today.
- A Texas federal judge had previously ruled that the Food and Drug Administration hadn't properly evaluated mifepristone before allowing it for public access. The Supreme Court has now twice extended its availability while they rule on the issue.
Wednesday on Political Rewind: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Greg Bluestein joins the panel.