Credit: File Photo
WATCH LIVE | Cartersville At Calhoun And North Paulding At Walton - Kickoffs At 7:30 P.M.
Political Rewind: The Legislature picks up steam; Judge rules on mass voter challenges; Trump's base
Adrienne Jones, @adriennemjns, professor of political science and director of pre-law, Morehouse College
Emma Hurt, @Emma_Hurt, reporter, Axios Atlanta
Jim Galloway, @JimJournalist, former political columnist, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Meg Kinnard, @MegKinnardAP, national politics reporter, The Associated Press
1. The state legislature is picking up steam with a flurry of new bills filed.
- Legislators hope to block the federal ACA website in favor of a state-run site.
- Medicaid expansion for pregnant women comes after Georgia's strict abortion law was left in effect.
- Sports gambling could be added as a part of the state lottery.
2. With the 2024 presidential election around the corner, Donald Trump is back on the campaign trail.
- Meg Kinnard detailed a campaign stop Trump made at the South Carolina state House.
- In Georgia, evangelicals say Trump may have to earn back their support. They also signaled favor for a strong primary.
3. A federal judge will determine if the challenge against over 300,000 Georgians' registration was voter intimidation.
- True the Vote, a Texas-based conservative organization that espouses election fraud, challenged 364,000 Georgians' voter registrations ahead of 2021's Senate runoff.
- U.S. District Judge Steve Jones is expected to weigh in shortly.
- The challenge was allowed under Senate Bill 202, which grants unlimited challenges to voter registrations.
4. Atlanta continues its bid for the Democratic National Convention over Chicago.
- The party reports Houston is out of contention, leaving Chicago and Atlanta as frontrunners for the 2024 convention.
- While Georgia's Democratic primary may not move earlier, hosting a national convention in Atlanta signals renewed Democratic interest in the state.
Monday on Political Rewind: The AJC's Patricia Murphy joins the panel.