Credit: Photo by Mandel Ngan/Pool via REUTERS
Political Rewind: Fani Willis seeks testimony from Meadows' aide; GOP senators campaign for Walker
Andra Gillespie, @AndraGillespie, professor of political science, Emory University
Margaret Coker, @mideastmargaret, editor in chief, The Current
Tamar Hallerman, @TamarHallerman, senior reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
1. Former Mark Meadows aide Cassidy Hutchinson with cooperate with Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to testify in the special grand jury investigating election interference in 2020.
- According to CNN, the aide to President Trump's then-chief of staff could testify about the now-infamous call between the president and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in 2021.
- Willis has signaled she won't make any public moves in her investigation during the midterm elections. However, she could issue indictments shortly after.
- Hutchinson was featured prominently in the U.S. House's January 6th Hearings.
2. Rural Black voters say they only see politicians before an election.
- Stacey Abrams appeared on Fox News on Sunday, saying she feels her campaign is doing well, and polls showing her behind are manufactured to discourage turnout.
- Rural Black Georgians have issues they'd like addressed, but Capital B reports that often mistrust with politicians and democratic processes reduce turnout.
- Abrams and Sen. Raphael Warnock have campaigned in rural Georgia, but some voters say they haven't made up their minds.
3. Republican Sens. Rick Scott and Tom Cotton campaign in Georgia for Herschel Walker.
- After the Daily Beast broke the story on an abortion Herschel Walker allegedly paid for, Republican leadership have played defense to preserve the campaign.
- The senators' arrival comes ahead of a scheduled debate between Walker and Warnock for Friday night. The audience will be invite-only, with strict rules of decorum.
We're in the middle of our Fall Radio Fund Drive. Click here if you'd like to support Political Rewind with a donation.