Political Rewind: Health care top campaign issue; 9/11 tributes; Pine Lake decriminalizes abortion
Alan Abramowitz, @AlanIAbramowitz, professor emeritus of political science, Emory University
Audrey Haynes, professor of political science, University of Georgia
Patricia Murphy, @MurphyAJC, political reporter and columnist, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Tammy Greer, professor of political science, Clark Atlanta University
1. As the Atlanta Medical Center closes its doors, health care becomes a key campaign issue.
- Democrats continue to push for the expansion of Medicaid.
- If this happens, more than 600,000 Georgians would be insured.
- On Friday at a campaign rally, Stacey Abrams and former Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin discussed the issue.
- Meanwhile, Gov. Brian Kemp says he's meeting with health care leaders.
- The AJC reports discussions involve shifting state and federal funds to Grady rather than seeking to keep Atlanta Medical Center open.
2. Shooting of Cobb County deputies sparks new debate on guns.
- 11 Alive reports, 38-year-old Marshall Ervin, Jr. and 42-year-old Jonathan Koleski were killed after being ambushed while serving a warrant.
- Funeral arrangements were announced for the pair earlier this morning.
3. The 21st anniversary of 9/11 happened over the weekend.
- Nearly 3,000 people were killed during the terrorist attacks that happened at Ground Zero in New York, in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and at the Pentagon in 2001.
- President Biden visited the Pentagon Sunday for a 9/11 memorial.
4. Walker's campaign released a new ad targeting Democrats for divisiveness.
- Patricia Murphy says the goal of the ad is to appeal to white voters.
5. Pine Lake, Ga., decriminalizes abortion.
- The smallest city in Dekalb county made the move.
- It will prevent using local funds to record, investigate, or help prosecute peopled under the so-called “heartbeat law.”
- State Sen. Jen Jordan, who is running for attorney general, says she'll take a similar position.
Tuesday on Political Rewind: The AJC's Tamar Hallerman joins the panel.