Political Rewind: Daniel Defense faces scrutiny; Warnock v. Walker heats up; Trump laments GA losses
Margaret Coker — Editor-in-Chief, The Current
Rene Alegria — CEO, Mundo Hispanico
Rahul Bali — reporter, WABE
Claire Sanders — Professor of political science & public administration, Georgia College
1. Georgia gun manufacturer spotlighted in the Uvalde shooting.
- Daniel Defense, a Georgia family-owned gun manufacturer, sold the weapon used in the massacre.
- They pulled out of the NRA's annual meeting over the weekend.
- Daniel Defense started as a military contractor but now makes guns for civilians.
- The shooter was prohibited by federal law from buying a handgun, but was able to buy the AR-15 online legally.
- Daniel Defense has a controversial history of marketing weapons to teenage boys.
2. Calls for gun safety laws in the aftermath of the Uvalde massacre.
- The Biden administration said it's already taken all the executive action they can and it is now up to Congress.
- Former Cobb Police Chief and MSNBC Commentator Cedric Alexander pointed out that AR-15 guns can overpower police and endanger them.
3. Race between Herschel Walker and U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock heats up.
- Walker has a complicated history on guns as he allegedly threatened his former wife with a gun.
- Walker gave a nonsensical answer when asked about gun safety laws.
- Warnock has challenged Walker to three debates, and Democrats hope that a debate between the candidates could swing moderate voters to Warnock.
4. Trump reacts to Georgia election results.
- Trump is reportedly angry at former gubernatorial candidate David Perdue and former secretary of state candidate Jody Hice.
- Both candidates lost their primaries without a runoff.
- Republicans will need to move to a united party if they want to win in 2022 elections.
- State Sen. Burt Jones, the Trump-endorsed GOP candidate for lieutenant governor, won without a runoff.
- Kemp is unlikely to respond to any Trump attacks.
Wednesday on Political Rewind:
GPB News' Donna Lowry joins the show.