WATCH | A Capitol Fourth 2022 At 8 P.M.
Political Rewind: Only a few days until crucial Georgia primaries; Kemp touts new Hyundai plant
Jim Galloway – Former political columnist
Sam Olens – Former Georgia Attorney General
Michael Thurmond – DeKalb County CEO
Dr. Karen Owen – Political science professor and interim dean, University of West Georgia
1. With record turnout, where do Georgia's slate of important primary elections stand?
- Tuesday is Election Day in the 2022 primary.
- More than 700,000 people early voted in Georgia as of Thursday, according to the Secretary of State's office.
- That is a 180 percent increase from the same time in the 2018 primary election, and a 149 percent increase from the same point in 2020's primary.
2. In lead up to election, Gov. Brian Kemp announces a new Hyundai plant to open near Savannah.
- According to reports, the plant will bring around 8000 jobs to the area.
3. U.S. House votes on measures to address national shortage of baby formula.
- Two measures received a vote this week in the U.S. House.
- One bill would see funds go to the FDA to help increase supply. It received wide GOP opposition.
- On Wednesday, President Joe Biden invoked the Defense Production Act to speed up production of formula and bring in more supplies from overseas.
Monday on Political Rewind: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Patricia Murphy is set to join our panel.