Political Rewind: New polling in days before statewide primaries; A look at crossover voting
Mark Niesse – Reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Dr. Amy Steigerwalt – Professor of political science, Georgia State University
Dr. Alan Abramowitz – Emeritus professor of political science, Emory University
1. Fox News poll sheds insight into primary election and voter opinions.
- Heading into the Tuesday primary election, the poll sees incumbent Gov. Brian Kemp leading by 32 points against his challenger David Perdue.
- The poll also asked GOP voters how much an endorsement from former President Donald Trump might influence their vote in the primary.
- 36 percent said his endorsement would have no impact at all on their decision.
- 24 percent said a candidate with a Trump endorsement would be less likely to receive their vote.
2. Will crossover voting, voters in prior Democratic primaries voting in the Republican primary this year, influence the race?
- Reporting from Mark Niesse of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution suggests around 7 percent of GOP primary voters in 2022 voted Democratic in 2020.
- The data suggest a number of Democrats might be strategically voting in the GOP primary.
3. Many Georgia election-related lawsuits are in court. Which ones matter?
- A number of election-related lawsuits are currently in court, though Niesse said most are on appeal or have little chance of moving forward.
Tomorrow on Political Rewind: Politics writer Jim Galloway joins the panel.