Credit: Riley Bunch / GPB
Political Rewind: Primary results from across nation; Kemp flexes fundraising, incumbency advantage
Sen. Kim Jackson – State Senator, (D) Stone Mountain
Edward Lindsay – Republican strategist
Claire Sanders – Senior Lecturer of Political Science and Public Administration at Georgia College & State University
Greg Bluestein – Politics reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
1. Kemp distributes federal COVID-19 relief money.
- Federal assistance is distributed to constituents in Georgia
- Kemp's timing may help him in the primary elections. He is expected to win, but trying to avoid a runoff against former U.S. Sen. David Perdue.
- The money Kemp is distributing comes from federal funding all Republican congressional delegates voted against.
- The state still has not expanded Medicaid using federal money.
2. Trump-endorsed candidates see primary results around U.S.
- Dr. Mehmet Oz was in a tight race for the Republican U.S. Senate Primary race. He is endorsed by former President Donald Trump.
- Republican candidates in Georgia are seeing how far a Trump endorsement may go.
- Trump-endorsed candidates in races did not always fare better than their rivals
3. Officials continue to react to deadly Buffalo mass shooting that killed 10.
- President Joe Biden addressed the shooting, but acknowledged that he did not have the votes in Congress for widespread gun law reform.
- Echoes of "replacement theory," which allegedly motivated the shooter, continue in conservative media.
- Tucker Carlson, a popular Fox News personality, has mentioned "replacement theory" on his show hundreds of times
4. Candidate near the finish line in Georgia primary elections
- The Republican primary for Secretary of State could show the implications of Trump's 2020 election wrath.
- Stacey Abrams' running mate will be decided in a crowded primary for Democratic Lieutenant Governor.