Credit: Riley Bunch / GPB News
Political Rewind: Walker's comments on NATO and evolution make headlines; A look at Abrams' finances
Patricia Murphy — Politics reporter and columnist, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Rene Alegria — CEO, Mundo Hispanico Digital
1. Herschel Walker continues to make headlines following comments during his campaign.
- Walker dominated the news cycle this week with his comments.
- During a speech to a church congregation, he cast doubt on evolution.
2. U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene does not approve of spending more money in Ukraine.
- Greene addressed the nation and called President Biden a 'fossil'.
- She also voted against a bill in the U.S. House to suspend normal trade relations with Russia.
3. Financial disclosure reports show Stacey Abrams in a much different financial situation than in 2018.
- Abrams' struggle with personal debt played a role in her 2018 campaign, but now she is worth roughly $3.17 million.
- Most of the money was tied up in real estate and book deals.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution also reports that Gov. Brian Kemp's net worth has grown by more than $3 million since he took office in 2019.
4. Charlie Chaplin's speech in The Great Dictator remains relevant today.
- The Great Dictator was Chaplin’s first film with dialogue. Chaplin plays both a little Jewish barber, living in the ghetto, and Hynkel, the dictator of Tomainia.
- The clip was resurfacing as people see connections to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.
Monday on Political Rewind:
A look ahead to the U.S. Supreme Court confirmation hearings for Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson with our panel.