Top Stories and Arms Race: Week Three
Two weeks into the Georgia high school football season and North Gwinnett Senior QB Cade Fortin appears to be out for the remainder of the season. Cade who is headed to Texas A&M in the fall, suffered a leg injury in the first quarter against Milton. The 3-star QB had hoped to lead the Bulldogs to the playoffs and eventually to the State Championship but fate had different plans. In his absence, North Gwinnett will have to rely more on another Senior backup QB, Jimmy Urzua, and their run game which has been effective in the first 2 weeks. Fortin meanwhile will turn his attention to recovering and looking forward to the next chapter of his football life in College Station, Texas.
This weekend isn’t just week 3 of Georgia high school football, but it’s also the official start of the college football season. That means as the season goes on, more and more high school players in Georgia will decide where they will be playing college ball next year. All eyes remain on Harrison’s dual-threat QB Justin Fields who was once committed to Penn State. He has since emerged as one of the top QBs in the nation after an impressive performance at the Elite 11 quarterback competition, along with fellow Georgians Emory Jones of Heard County, who is committed to Ohio State, and Trevor Lawrence of Carterville who is headed to Clemson. Reports surrounding where the 6’3, 221lb Fields will end up are rampant. But don’t be surprised if Justin waits until National Signing Day to select a hat - with a school likely in the SEC. Stay tuned…
Now to the week 2 “Arm’s Race.” Cartersville’s Trevor Lawrence continues to shine – putting on a show in front of a national audience showing off his arm talent. Harrison’s Justin Fields was impressive in a loss against Rome and QB Knox Kadum. Fields still however managed to make Sports Center with one of his athletic runs.
Arm’s Race Rankings
1. Justin Fields. Harrison, DUAL, 6’3, 221 Last Game: 4 total TDs 3 passing 1 rushing 233 passing yards and 66 rushing yards Next Game: North Cobb
2. Trevor Lawrence. Cartersville, PRO, 6’6, 208, Last Game: 5 TDs 403 passing yards Next game: Calhoun
3. Jarren Williams. Central Gwinnett, DUAL,6’2, 206, Last game: 5 total TDs 3 passing 2 rushing 340 passing yards and 63 rushing yards Next Game: Roswell
4. Harrison Bailey. Marietta, PRO,6’4, 215, Last Game: Did not Play. Next Game: Blessed Trinity.
5. Emory Jones. Heard County, DUAL, 6’3, 195, Last Game: 3 rushing TDs 197 passing and 150 rushing Next Game: New Manchester
6. Steven Krajewski: Colquitt Country.6’4, 205, Last Game: No TDs 119 passing yards no TDs but his leadership and level headiness keeps in the top 10 Next Game: Tucker
7. Knox Kadum. Rome, PRO,6’2,170, Last Game: Faced off with Top QB Justin Fields and led a game Winning Drive ending with a 48 yard TD pass. Next Game: Drew
8. Luke Shiflett. Northwest Whitfield CO. DUAL,6’2,180, Last Game: 6 TDs 331 passing yards Next Game: Dalton.
9. Cordell Littlejohn. Roswell, DUAL,6’4,190, Last Game: Did not Play. Next Game: Central Gwinnett
10. Gunnar Watson. Taylor CO. PRO,6’2,187 Next Game: Greenville
Others to Watch:
11. Jordan Yates. Milton,DUAL,6’1,186, Next Game: Cambridge.
12. Octavis Battle. Carver, DUAL,6’3 185, Next Game: Alexander.
13. Cade Fortin. North Gwinnett, PRO,6’2,207,Last Game: Had season ending Leg Injury
By Brooks Burns