What if we could find out exactly where students are in the area of numeracy? What would happen if we could diagnose, prescribe and provide customized math instruction for students in the area of numeracy? How would math look if we combined mental math strategies, growth mindset and a work session where students experienced opportunities designed specifically for their needs? At Blue Ridge School, that is exactly what we are doing.
• Everyone can successfully understand math at higher levels.
• Numeracy rich communities are necessary.
• Math is about connections, communicating and exploring.
• Depth is more important than speed in math.
• Math is about understanding, not performing.
• In Math, learning from mistakes is valuable and takes perseverance.
• Questions about why and how are really important in math.
• Math is about engaging in creativity and making sense.