New Cases Of COVID-19 In Cobb, Fulton; CDC Confirms Polk County Case
The Georgia Department of Health said Saturday new cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, are confirmed in Cobb and Fulton counties.
The Fulton County individual with COVID-19 is hospitalized and health officials do not know the source of exposure. The person in Cobb County recently traveled to Italy and is quarantined at home, DPH said.
Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a Polk County case previously reported Friday as a Floyd County case. The individual is hospitalized.
Additionally, DPH is awaiting confirmatory testing on a presumptive positive test for COVID-19 in a resident of Gwinnett County, who was first tested by a local health department Friday.
"The individual recently returned from Italy and was self-monitoring at home, and is now isolated at home," DPH said in a news release.
Test results for family members of the first two COVID-19 cases in Georgia, the 56-year-old man who traveled to Italy and his son, are not available, DPH spokeswoman Nancy Nydym said in an email.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Fulton County Officials Say 2 COVID-19 Patients Are Father, Son
Gov. Brian Kemp said federal and state officials continue to work closely together to conduct testing and determine the extent of exposure for confirmed cases of COVID-19.
"The risk to Georgians remains low," Kemp said. "We ask Georgians to stay vigilant, utilize best practices to mitigate health risk, and remain calm."
DPH Commissioner Dr. Kathleen E. Toomey said the state is prepared to mitigate the spread of this virus and is aggressively working to identify anyone who may have had contact with these individuals.
“Despite these new cases, the overall risk of COVID-19 to the general public remains low; but each new case of COVID-19 in Georgia reinforces the fact we should all be practicing basic prevention measures that are extremely effective in limiting the spread of COVID-19 and all respiratory illnesses,” she said.
President Donald Trump visited Atlanta Friday and signed a $8.3 billion funding bill. Here's where that money is going, according to NPR.
The Trump administration's initial request — in the form of a two-page letter to Congress on Feb. 24 — was for $1.25 billion in new funds, with additional money moved from other parts of the federal budget to get to a total of $2.5 billion.