Sheraton Atlanta Cleared To Open Following Legionnaires' Outbreak
Dragon Con revelers rejoice: The Sheraton Atlanta has been cleared to open Friday after a fatal outbreak of Legionella last month.
One person has died of Legionnaires' disease, which is caused by the Legionella bacteria, according to the state health department.
A statement released Thursday says:
"Environmental sampling results from the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel indicated the presence of Legionella bacteria in the hotel’s cooling tower and in a decorative fountain in the hotel atrium. Remediation to the entire hotel water distribution system, including the cooling tower and decorative fountain, has been made. In accordance with DPH recommendations, sampling and testing will continue at the hotel. Following a complete inspection of the hotel by FCBOH Environmental Health on Aug.15, 2019, the Sheraton was cleared to reopen."
As of Thursday, there are 13 lab-confirmed cases of Legionnaires’ disease, including the one death, and 66 probable cases of Legionnaires’ disease related to this outbreak, a spokeswoman with the health department said.