Virtual Learning Journey: Slavery and Freedom
Evaluate the influence of Georgia-based businesses on the State's economic growth and development.
Explain how technological developments, including the cotton gin and railroads, had an impact on Georgia's growth.
Explain the importance of key issues and events that led to the Civil War; include slavery, states' rights, nullification, Compromise of 1850 and the Georgia Platform, the Dred Scott case, Abraham Lincoln's election in 1860, and the debate over secession in Georgia.
Describe the Middle Passage, the growth of the African population and their contributions, including but not limited to architecture, agriculture, and foodways.
Explain how the significance of slavery grew in American politics including slave rebellions and the rise of abolitionism.
Explain the importance of the growing economic disparity between the North and the South through an examination of population, functioning railroads, and industrial output.
• Explore the hidden lives of domestic servants enslaved by the Owens and Richardson families.
• Examine first-hand accounts of how enslaved people resisted efforts to dehumanize them and, in the process, attempted to form their own culture.
• Analyze primary documents detailing the different enslaved experiences and how they varied throughout the region.
• Engage in critical thinking with discussion questions that probe enduring understandings in social studies.
• Navigate coastal Georgia’s economy to learn about the life of an elite slaveholding family and the labor of their enslaved workers.
• Connect innovations like the cotton gin to the increased demand for enslaved labor and its effect on Georgia’s economy.
• Investigate Savannah’s complex and interconnected society as well as the surrounding legal system.
• Assess agricultural and structural systems of the time while creating models of cultural activities.
Slave Quarters- Upstairs
Slave Quarters- Downstairs
More Ways to Watch
Find this Virtual Field Trip and more resources on the App Store, Google Play, and Oculus store.