No more teachers! No more books! Well, just for a week but everyone could use a break from life’s frantic schedule. Spring Break is a great time for families to reconnect and shake off those winter blues. Families can hit the open road or have a blast at home on a “staycation.” With the rising cost of fuel and food, many families are opting to stay close to home and enjoy everything their city has to offer.
Here are some tips on how to make this the best “staycation” ever:
• Plan a family picnic at the local park with all the trimmings.
• Be a tourist by visiting your local visitor center to find out what’s new in the city!
• Go on a bike adventure. Georgia has many scenic bike trails. Visit Georgia State Park.org to find a bike trail near you.
• Have a movie night. You can rent movies from the library for free, pop some popcorn and cuddle up to watch a great movie with the family.
• Plant a family garden. Tune in to GPB’s Your Southern Garden with gardening guru Walter Reeves, as a new season starts this month on Saturdays at 12 Noon and 6:30 PM! Gardeners can learn how to prepare their garden for the upcoming season.
If you are still short on plans for this week, checkout some local attractions:
• Fernbank Natural History Museum will be showing “Tornado Alley” in its IMAX theaters and take a tour of the Doppler on Wheels (DOW) vehicle. Visit www.fernbankmuseum.org .
• Dolphins have arrived at the Georgia Aquarium - AT&T Dolphin Tales will offer a theatrical performance highlighting the strong emotional bond between dolphins and humans. Visit Georgia Aquarium.org .
Whether you are staying close to home or heading to the beach, stay tuned to GPB to be entertained and informed on programming worth sharing!