Officials in the central Japanese city of Gamagori are warning residents not
to eat blowfish purchased from a local supermarket after potentially deadly
parts of the fish were inadvertently sold. The market sold five packages of
fish without removing their livers, which can contain a potent neurotoxin.
Three of the packages of fish have been recovered by authorities, but two
others remain at large. "We are calling for residents to avoid eating fugu,
using Gamagori city's emergency wireless system," which broadcasts over
loudspeakers located around the city, local official Koji Takayanagi, was
quoted in The Japan Times as saying. "Eating fugu liver can paralyze motor
nerves, and in a serious case cause respiratory arrest leading to death,"
regional officials said in a warning statement. Blowfish, known in Japan as
fugu, is a highly prized delicacy both as sashimi or as an ingredient in
soup, but the fish's liver, ovaries and skin contain the poison tetrodotoxin
and the parts must be