Founded in 1905 by the Atlanta Art Association, the High Museum quickly grew into an Atlanta landmark. Originally located in a mansion on Peachtree Street, the High moved next door into a brick building with climate control to better preserve the priceless pieces of art. With over 11,000 pieces of art, the High Museum is ever expanding. Spurred by the tragic death of 122 art patrons from Atlanta in a plane crash in 1962, as documented in Georgia Public Broadcasting's The Day Atlanta Stood Still, the museum added the Memorial Building constructed by the new Atlanta Art Alliance.
In 1983, the High Museum expanded once again with the help of renowned architect Richard Meier. Due to unprecedented growth in exhibitions, community programming, and collections, the Museum once again outgrew its home. In 2005, the High Museum added two new buildings as part of the overall upgrade of the Woodruff Arts Center campus being designed by Renzo Piano.
Renzo Piano was born in Genoa, Italy in 1937. After graduating from the school of Architecture of the Milan Polytechnic, he worked under the design guidance of Franco Albini. Between 1965 and 1970, he completed his formation and work experiments with study travels in Britain and America. These travels encouraged Piano to develop a style that is evident in many of his works, including the Centre Pompidou in Paris. To find out more about Renzo Piano's works, visit his website. To learn more about the High Museum, visit the website.
For information Museums and Galleries in Georgia: