Date Established: 1982
Original Acreage:4.34 Acres
Current Acreage: 4.34 Acres
In 1973, the Colley Family, descendents of Robert Toombs' brother, owned this Antebellum mansion. Frank Colley contacted Governor Jimmy Carter about the state of Georgia purchasing the Toombs House. Governor Carter took the request before the Heritage Trust on March 21, 1973. In November 1973, Attorney Wilbur Orr, Frank Colley, Kathleen Colley Goldsmith, and Helen Colley Reiber deeded the Robert Toombs House to the state.
The site was named for Robert Augustus Toombs, a successful planter, attorney, mayor of Washington, state legislator, U.S. congressman and senator, Confederate Secretary of State, Brigadier General in the Army of Northern Virginia, and state attorney for railroad litigation until 1880. His greatest contribution to the state was helping create the Georgia Constitution of 1877.
Changes to the Robert Toombs House have been the result of careful research. Historical, architectural, and archaeological research was compiled to provide a restoration plan. Eventually, the Parks, Recreation and Historic Sites Division removed all the features post dating 1885, which was the year of Toombs' death.
The historic site protects on of Georgia's cultural resources. The 19-room, 7,129-square-foot Antebellum mansion represents evidence of growth through Federal, Greek Revival, and Victorian styles of architecture. This is the essence of its architectural merit. The original outbuildings, trees, outside heirloom plants and approximately 200 pieces of 18th and 19th century furnishings are evidence of the culture of the era the house and grounds represent.