42 episodes available from GPB Education and New Media, a division of Georgia Public Broadcasting.
It's all in the mix-SALSA blends puppets, animation, live action and
music to create a unique experience for first-time learners of Spanish
language and culture. SALSA spices up learning by creating a visually
exciting production, complete with funny characters that children can
enjoy, in situations they can quickly recognize and understand. SALSA
also portrays the rich variety and heritage of Hispanic culture.
Children thrill to the traditional music, colorful attire and social
customs that make up SALSA.
Non-Spanish-speaking children, Hispanic children. Before the age of nine, children can learn two or three languages as easily as one. For Spanish-speaking children, SALSA brings increased self-esteem and enhanced literacy skills. Hispanics make up the fastest-growing population segment in the U.S.
SALSA has been developed by a team of
teachers, award-winning producers and curriculum experts. An advisory
board of nationally recognized experts in the fields of foreign
language education and early childhood development continues to guide
and shape the series.
SALSA has been successfully introduced to children across the country, from Delaware to Wyoming, with enthusiastic support and calls for more programs. SALSA has been selected for use as part of the $6.5 million Iowa/Nebraska Technology Challenge Grant funded by the U.S. Department of Education. An extensive activities guide is available for parents and educators.
- Gold Apple, National Educational Media Network, Apple Awards, 1999.
- 1st Place Award for Children's Programming, U.S. International Film and Video Festival, 1998.
- 3rd Place Certificate for Educational Programming, U.S. International Film and Video Festival, 1998.
- Emmy Award (Southern Region): Educational Program, 1998.
- Emmy Award (Southern Region): Scenic Designer, 1998.
- Emmy Award (Southern Region): Graphic Arts, 1998.
- Emmy Award (Southern Region): Director, 1998.
- Parents' Choice Recommended Seal, 1998.
- Honorable Mention for Children's Programming, National Education Telecommunications Association, 1998.
- CINE Golden Eagle Award, 1998.
- Certificate of Merit for Children's Programs, Chicago International Television Competition, 1999.