State officials are reinstating the practice of "pay-it-forward" toll payments on Georgia Highway 400 after motorists complained and Gov. Nathan Deal asked for the change. Last month, the State Road and Tollway Authority implemented a ban on motorists paying a toll for others after some motorists complained that toll booth cashiers were pocketing the money instead.
Authorities say they plan to quit collecting tolls on Georgia 400 in late November and begin dismantling the giant toll plaza in January. In 2012, Gov. Nathan Deal announced the end of the .50-cent tolls and said the toll booths -- near the northern edge of Atlanta -- would be removed.
Gov. Nathan Deal has announced the end of tolls on Georgia Highway 400 by the end of next year. He tied the announcement to the metro Atlanta area's upcoming transportation tax referendum on the July 31 primary ballot.
The Atlanta Hawks plan to cover the tolls drivers normally pay on Georgia 400 during Tuesday morning's rush hour. The team said in a statement it will pay the 50-cent tolls from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tuesday to promote the return of NBA basketball after a labor agreement was reached, ending a lockout.
State officials on Friday voted to continue the toll charge on metro Atlanta's Georgia 400 until 2020. The decision came after a meeting of the State Road and Tollway Authority, of which Governor Sonny Perdue chairs.