Thirteen years after he was charged with sexually molesting teenage boys, DragonCon founder Edward Kramer pleaded guilty to three counts of child molestation on Monday.
Kramer was charged with sexually molesting two teenage boys in 2000, and then in 2003, another boy joined the case. There were several legal delays. During one continuance, police found Kramer alone with a 14 year-old boy in a Connecticut hotel room. His attorney says Kramer maintains his innocence, but agreed to the plea deal because he physically cannot withstand a trial. Kramer suffers from spinal and breathing problems.
Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter says the victims support the plea deal.
“If he had paroled out and been under parole supervision we didn’t think he was going to be able to be watched closely enough,” said Porter.
“ So we think he’s better under local control. It resolves the case without endless appeals.”
Kramer will spend about three years under house arrest. He will have to pay each of his victims $100,000 in restitution.
Last week, Kramer reached a buyout settlement with the other founders of DragonCon, an Atlanta science fiction and fantasy convention. He was reportedly offered $500,000 in cash. A spokesman for the festival wouldn’t confirm the figure, but says Kramer received a small amount over the cash offer.
The money does not include any proceeds from the 2013 convention.