Explosions continue to rock the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip as Israeli forces strike targets for the second day, NPR's Anthony Kuhn reported earlier this morning from Gaza City.
The death toll there from two days of airstrikes has risen to at least 11, according to The Associated Press. Among those killed was Ahmed Jabari, the commander of Hamas' military wing.
On the other side, three Israelis were killed today by a rocket fired from Gaza. As Anthony said on Morning Edition, hundreds of rockets have been shot into Israel from Gaza since Saturday. The Israeli Defense Forces' operation "Pillar of Defense" is a response to those attacks.
Reuters writes that the "military showdown lurched closer to all-out war" today. NBC News takes a similar view:
"Israel has called up army reserves, the standing army is poised for a ground invasion of Gaza, the air force and navy is attacking a list of specified targets, mostly Hamas fighters and weapons facilities. All is set for war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza."
Asked earlier today by NPR's Linda Wertheimer if there are any signs that either side is "prepared to talk about backing this down," Anthony noted that before Wednesday there were "reports that Egypt had brokered a ceasefire." Then, Hamas claimed Israel had violated the agreement and wasn't committed to a ceasefire. Now, he said, "people are looking to see ... [if Hamas uses its] most potent missiles. If they strike at large population centers ... that would certainly provoke a tough response."
Egypt has recalled its ambassador from Israel and condemned the Israeli strikes.
Copyright 2012 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.