Governor Nathan Deal Invites Schools to Remember 9/11
Gov. Nathan Deal held a moment of silence Friday, September 9 at 11 a.m. to honor the victims of the September 11 attacks. The attacks took place 10 years ago this Sunday.
GPB Radio 10th Anniversary of 9/11 Specials
To mark the 10th anniversary of 9/11, GPB Radio and NPR will provide special programs throughout the day. This coverage includes news reports from New York and Washington DC along with special remembrances of the day and reflections on how America has changed. Listen here.
Six Resources for Recognizing the 10th Anniversary of 9/11
Use the resources we’ve curated to enhance your classroom discussions on the subject. If you need additional material be sure to contact us at email@example.com.
1.) Live & Virtual Events from Discovery Education and Resources. Discovery Education will host four events in cities closely affected by 9/11 attacks, followed by live panel discussions : Register here. Schedule Below:
- September 7, 1:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m., Shanksville Stonycreek High School, Shanksville, PA
- September 9, 12:45 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. New York ISchool - discussion hosted by Paula Zahn
- September 12, 1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. Wakefield High School, Arlington, VA
- September 13, 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. American History High School, Newark, NJ
- Discovery Education Resources and Lesson Plans on 9/11
- How has 9/11 affected your students? They can submit their thoughts directly by using this Student Response Form
2.) FRONTLINE: Top Secret America: Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Dana Priest ask how a decade of fighting terrorism has reshaped the country and whether it has made us safer. Airs September 6 at 9 p.m. on GPB.
3.) NOVA Special: Engineering Ground Zero: This special captures behind-the-scenes struggle of architects and engineers to make the new buildings safe. Airs September 7 at 9 p.m. on GPB. Visit the NOVA Teacher resource site.
4.) America Remembers 9/11: PBS Newshour presents a one-hour special broadcast commemorating the 10th anniversary of the attacks of September 11, 2001. This airs September 11 on GPB from 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
5.) PBS Newshour Extra Lesson Plan Homegrown Terrorism: Use this Lesson Plan to teach and discuss domestic terrorism.
6.) Discovery Education Theme Page: Login to find lesson plans and teacher guids that explore the Patriot Act, the Recovery and Clean Up Effort, and more topics.